September Artist of the Month: Katherine Hofacker

In the past, I have had the privilege in featuring mixed media artist that are truly brilliant.  But, I have a very strong opinion that every artist is unique and you honestly see it in their work.  For the month of September, I was delighted to stumble upon Ann Arbor Art Fair's 2015 featured artist Katie Hofacker on The Guild.  I was surfing the web to find local art festivals during the summer to expand my search for talented artist beyond social media.  Unfortunately, at the time I did the search, I just missed the festivities and Katie's exhibit.  What a bummer!  However, that didn't stop me.  I was so enchanted by her pieces, that I searched for her contact info and e-mailed her about being featured on ECS.  She accepted, I smiled like a Cheshire cat and pumped my fist up with joy.  Reader, you'll understand my excitement once you've scrolled down to observe her art yourself.  Her mixed media involves a process called photo transfer which I find super cool and I believe makes her art look like you are looking at vintage illustrations of a fantasy novel.  Then she adds her acrylic paint colors in there and the intricate details, (the details! Katie is really good at)  the images really come together.  From Katie's website she explains,

 "Photo transfers, acrylic paint, and resin allow me to create work that seems like a throwback to a time before photoshop, when photos were manipulated by hand. This technique is accomplished by collecting images from a wide array of sources and recombining them into my own surreal landscapes. I sometimes use up to 50 different transfers to create a single piece of art. In this manner, I am an appropriation artist"

So reader, I impore you, take the time to jump into Katie's art work and get to know Katie in her ECS interview.  I have no doubt that you'll appreciate them like I have.
Smile: What is your name/artist name and where are you from?


Katie: My name is Katie Hofacker, and I grew up in a rural area just outside Port Clinton, Ohio. I currently live a bit North of Columbus, Ohio.


Smile: How do you describe your art and where does your inspiration come from?



Katie: It recently occurred to me that my art is very surreal, which came as a surprising realization because I've never really identified myself as a surrealist artist. Most of my paintings have a story behind them. Rat Race was created in the last year of my teaching career. I respect teachers and what they do immensely, but I slowly came to realize during the course of my ten years of teaching that making a switch to becoming a full time artist was necessary. In Rat Race, I am the tiny man staring off into the vastness (my teaching job) and the balloons represent my happiness (being a full time artist), floating just out of reach.

Smile: Can you educate me more on the process of photo transfers and what else you do to create your art? It is so fascinating to me, it's like a whole different type of fantasy world. Kind of like jumping into a book.

Katie: I am always looking for new techniques to incorporate into my mixed media paintings. I use many techniques, such as thinning and "breaking" the paint with rubbing alcohol, using crackle mediums, and photo transfers. Photo transfers are wonderful because there is no limit to what you can create. The process involves using a gel medium to transfer just the ink of a laser jet print. The printed image is applied to the gel gloss, and the paper is rubbed away using water, leaving only the ink of the print behind.

Smile: What is the first piece that you remember creating and at what age?

Katie: Oh wow. That's a tough question because I can't remember NOT creating art. My mother is an artist so I was encouraged artistically at a very young age. I guess the first recognized piece of art I made was in first grade. The school I went to had a contest among the students, and the winner had their artwork used on the cover of the school play program. Mine won, and my mom has the original drawing framed and hanging up, still to this day. 

Smile: You mentioned that you are doing your art full time now, which is amazing! Do you miss teaching? What area did you teach?

Katie: I am still teaching a bit. I teach about 3 classes a month, at some local shops and at a wonderful maker space in Columbus, called the Columbus Idea Foundry. I teach classes on the various processes I use in my own art. My previous teaching was in a public school, in the area of special ed. I think I will always love teaching art, but I don't regret my choice to leave my full time teaching career to pursue art. It was a necessary change to keep my soul healthy and happy. I am an artist at heart.

Smile: If you could pick one place where your work could be shown, where would it be?

Katie: Somewhere public and free. I've had this idea to make tiny paintings and hang them in a tree at a local park. People could come by and just take one, if they like. Now I just need the time to make all those tiny paintings! 


Smile: If you can travel anyplace in the world for inspiration, where would that be and why?

Katie: I love traveling and used to travel a bit, before I had my son. I'm drawn to places that aren't overly occupied by tourists. I also love places where the weather is overcast most of the time. Outside the U.S., I've really been wanting to check out Russia. In the US, it'd have to be Alaska.

Smile: Tell me more about yourself and what you like to do beside being an awesome artist.

Katie: I'm married to a chef, which is great because I'm a terrible cook. We have one son, who will be 5 in December. We also have three cats who are our fur babies. I enjoy taking care of my plants, reading, refinishing furniture, and going on adventures with my son. I also love a great bottle of wine! 



Smile: Now on to the most important question, lol, well to me at least. Besides loving art, I'm a major foodie & bookworm. What type of food is your favorite? What's the most recent book that you have read?

Katie: I love Agedashi Tofu. There is an awesome local Japanese restaurant that serves a killer version. I also love any kind of cheese, even Limburger! As far as books, Charles Bukowski is my hero. I'm just finishing up one of his books, Notes of a Dirty Old Man. I try to read him sparingly, though, and savor it, since he is no longer with us.

Smile: What form of art would you like to be better at? What type of art would you like to do more?

Katie: I remember being in art school, and doing so well at still life painting. Then we had to paint a portrait and I suddenly had no idea what to do! It's like I had no ground under my feet. I'm still terrible at that. I have a friend who does amazing portraiture and I can't begin to comprehend how he does it. And he makes it look so easy! If I could do a type of art more, it would have to be more experimentation with art. I sometimes feel like I've got this re pie for creating art, and it uses 5 certain steps that always remain the same. And I'm always busy working on a commission, or getting art ready for an art fest, that I don't have time to explore more new concepts. I've recently been pushing myself more to try some new techniques though. 


Smile: Do you have a favorite piece that you have created? If so, what is it and why?

Katie: It seems like I'm always drawn to my latest piece, I think because that's the most recent part of my life that I've worked through. My art is really personal to me, and frequently my life shows up in my art. It's therapeutic.

Smile: Do you have any artist (past or present) that you admire and why?

Katie: I love Julien Pacuad. He is a French artist who creates his pieces digitally. His work has been described as Polaroids taken from the future. He works by taking vintage advertisements and recombining them digitally. I promised myself I would buy one of his pieces after I did my first big art festival. It hangs on my wall and I am honored to get to see it up close and personal every day. I think I love his work so much because I can see echoes of my own work in his. I hope one day to be working at the same level of artistry as him.
Smile: What do you think is the hardest obstacles that artist face in the industry today?

Katie: For me it's trying to balance personal life with creating art. As an artist there are no set schedules so knowing when to quit for the day or to take time out of your day, away from making art, can be hard. The level of work required to make it as an artist can be staggering and I'm not sure people are always prepared for that. It can become consuming so finding a balance between creating and having a life outside of that can be challenging.

Smile: What is your biggest accomplishment as an artist so far? And what's the biggest goal you have for yourself as an artist?

Katie: Being asked to be the featured artist at the 2015 Ann Arbor summer art fair was one of the most memorable moments of my artistic career so far. It gave me the courage to leave my job as a teacher and pursue art full-time. My goal is to continue improving artistically and to see my dream of being a person who can support herself and contribute to the family while living as a full time artist. It's also important to me to continue teaching art techniques to others and encourage them to continue making art. 


Smile: Any big events coming up that we should know about?

Katie: I will be at the Peoria art fest at the end of September. You can find me there in booth number 134. I will also be at the St. James art fest in the beginning of October. I will be in the Fourth Street section in booth number 604.

Smile: What artist would you really like to collaborate with, who and why?


Katie: Well, I guessI would have to say Kafka, Lou Reed or Charles Bukowski. I've painted pictures of beetles connected to hot air balloons that were inspired by the Metamorphosis, and when I found out that Lou Reed had passed away I painted Perfect Day as a sort of tribute to him. Bukowski seems to always speak sort of truth to me, like he really knew what was going on and was sharing some of that infinite wisdom in his writing. I think it would be so cool to hang out with these guys and be privileged enough to illustrate some of their wonderful writing.


Smile: Last questions, where can we find your art work to purchase? And is there anything else you would like the audience to know?

Katie: You can find my artwork on Etsy, and at my artist website which iswww.katiehofackerart.com. If I had to leave the audience with any inspiring message it would be to get out there and do what it is you've always been dreaming of doing. You've just got this one life and you don't want to leave it with any regrets.

Smile: Katie, you have been wonderful. Thanks for giving us an interview and I am glad that we are able to feature your work this month. I look forward to seeing more of your art and best to you and your future!



Ohio Artist, Katie Hofacker
All images in the above post belong to the artist, please respect copy right laws. Click on the images to visit Katie's site.  Thank you.

Comments